Thursday, January 20, 2011

This week’s Journal is all about HOME
In my homey kitchen …..
There is pasta cooking and rice will be put on later today.  Pasta and rice are two staple foods in my book; both are quick to turn into a meal with a little olive oil or soy sauce plus spices and a quick protein such as egg or canned tuna.  They can also be a quick breakfast, rice and honey is a quick and satisfying morning meal.  The key is having a container of cooked rice in the fridge at all times.
My thoughts on being at home ……
It is a true blessing to be able to be at home and not need to be out working.
A constant habit I have of making my home comfortable is ….
Burning candles.  I LOVE candles, particularly soy candles.  Fragrant and clean burning, leaving a soothing/comforting aroma in the room it is present.  The burning candle also tends to make the place seem more cozy too.
If I could change the decor of my home ….
Not a clue what I would do.  Often a woodsy, cabin look is my fancy but on occasion but there are so many other lovely options I would not know where to start.
What I want my children/spouse/other family to remember about my home is …
…HOME.  A safe haven.  A place where they know they are loved no matter what and a place that they can bring others and not be ashamed - of the family or home.
Home …
Is where the heart is: whether it be in Alaska, New York, or Spain, any I can make any place to be my home.  It is a place of safety and love.  Not a perfect place, but still filled with fond memories and laughter.

2 comments:

  1. Ohh, I love pasta! I think I'll get stuff to make a spaghetti supper tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious ^_^

    I saw this pasta and white sauce recipe, it's supposed to be really good for you and tasting:

    Pasta with White (bean) sauce
    If you don't tell your dinner guests you're serving beans, they'll be hard-pressed to
    figure out the difference between this protein-packed white sauce and a standard
    Alfredo. You can choose to leave the beans whole for a lovely texture, too.
    Ingredients If soaking dry beans, start with 1 cup before soaking.

    Ingredients
    ½ c. chopped onion
    1 4-oz. can diced green chili peppers, drained, or 1 chopped jalapeno or
    Anaheim pepper
    2 Tbs butter
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 Tbs whole wheat flour or arrowroot starch
    1/8-1/4 tsp. black pepper
    1 ½ c. whole milk
    1 ½ c. shredded cheese (any kind works, but Swiss or Monterey Jack is great)
    1 15-oz. can white beans, drained and rinsed, or 2 cups cooked dry beans
    salt to taste, likely about a ½ tsp.
    ½ lb. Linguine or favorite pasta, cooked according to package directions

    Method
    In a medium-sized, heavy bottomed pot, cook onion and peppers (if using fresh)
    in melted butter until tender, adding garlic at the last minute. Stir in flour and
    pepper and cook two minutes. Add the milk all at once. Cook and stir over
    medium heat until bubbly and thickened, taking care not to scorch the bottom.
    Cook one more minute, then add cheese and stir to melt. Add the beans and
    canned chiles (if using canned) and stir to heat through. Feel free to add extra
    milk at any point if the sauce is too thick for your tastes. Serve over linguine or
    your favorite pasta. You might include steamed veggies right in the sauce for an
    all-in-one meal.
    For the bean haters of the world: If you use an immersion blender and whiz the
    sauce, the beans (and their taste) disappear. You might want to add a bit of extra
    milk to thin it out, up to 1/4-1/2 cup.
    Serves 4.

    **provided by KitchenStewardship.com

    ReplyDelete